Re: OT capacitor question

I will be using a wire wound 5W inrush current protection series resistor. I'll measure its inductance when it arrives. Since the mains freq is just 60Hz the inductance will have negligible effect....I can probably increase the resistor's inductance by bonding a soft iron 'nail' to the body to squash HF noise. The soft iron will also help with heat dissipation (3 to 4 W). I understand that motor related line noise can reach 30Mhz.

It will be an interesting result, using the resistor as an inductor. I can probably do some testing with my function gen to define the noise attenuation. Plus there's the MOV across the line and neutral doing some capacitive snubbing as well.

Ancel