Re: OT capacitor question

ppppenguin

I don't like them much either but they can be an economic solution. I'd far rather have a double wound transformer or, if appropriate, a switchmode PSU, but these are expensive solutions compared to a capacitor dropper.

AFAIK, the 2 main failure modes of capacitor droppers as proposed by the OP are:

1: Short circuit cap. This will toast the equipment that's being supplied and might be a fire hazard. A fuse or other device must be there to fail open circuit before it gets out of hand.
2: Gradual reduction of the capacitor value as it safely absorbs transients and blows away more and more of the foils. Eventually the kit will stop working as it won't get enough power.