Re: Tektronix Neon Light replacement parts?

Dan Cordova <danny_cordov@...>

Interesting.
The main symptom of the problem was that the neon lights do not light up, and the CRT doesn't display.
This all occurred because I removed all the tubes to clean up the curve tracer and didn't replace the 12AU7 tube (V804) in the CRT circuit. V804 sits back behind
So far, I've had to replace all the paper capacitors in the CRT circuit and am awaiting new neon lamps, hoping that that will take care of the problem.
Moral to the story is to read the manual where it tells you not to go muck with the river and remove the tubes to clean up some minor dirt and dust. I also learned that you should make sure you replace all the tubes, instead of wondering how a RCA clear top 12AU7 tube magically turned up on the workbench.
Dan

On Thursday, January 24, 2019, 11:36:04 AM PST, Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info> wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:01:23 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

While I appreciate the help, this talk about strike voltage confuses me.
I'm not sure what the two neon lamps that I broke the leads are B826 and B827, listed as NE-23, are used for strike voltage?
There are several other neon lamps in different circuits on this curve tracer. I thought they were there to show that voltage and current were running through that part of the circuit.
There's two ways of using a neon lamp.  One is a simple indicator to
show that there is voltage or current.  Typically, about 1.2 ma or so
goes through the lamp (120 volts/100K or so ohms).  The NE2H varieties
take about twice the current and are brighter (H = high brightness).

The other way is to use it much like a zener, that is, to limit the
voltage differential between two points in a circuit.  When the lamp
fires (the strike voltage), it starts to conduct, which causes current
to go through it, limiting the voltage to what's called the
"maintaining voltage".  The maintaining voltage is lower than the
strike voltage.

Supposedly, the temporary overvoltage condition goes away, voltage
across the lamp goes below the maintaining voltage, and the circuit is
protected.

A zener diode works just about the same way, but is more stable, and
has effectively tighter tolerances.

Harvey

Dan
    On Thursday, January 24, 2019, 8:45:48 AM PST, Dave Wise <david_wise@phoenix.com> wrote:

I investigated this when I was exploring repairs for my HP 141T A2V1 ZZ1000 voltage reference glow tube.  Illuminating an NE-2 reduced the strike time much more than the strike voltage.  I tried several lamps and all did the same.

Illuminating the VR tube did neither enough to be useful.  I replaced it with a TL431/zener combo, see https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/album?id=68333 .

Dave Wise