Re: Tektronix Neon Light replacement parts?

Dave Wise

Tek 500-series scope applications of neon lamps are typically as voltage limiters, not references or multivibrators. Circuit voltage can rise to the strike voltage before the lamp begins to limit.

I don't know whether the 575 also uses its lamps as limiters, but I expect that it does. Sorry, don't have time to study the schematics. I'm sure many others here know it better than me.

Dave Wise
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:01 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tektronix Neon Light replacement parts?

While I appreciate the help, this talk about strike voltage confuses me.
I'm not sure what the two neon lamps that I broke the leads are B826 and B827, listed as NE-23, are used for strike voltage?
There are several other neon lamps in different circuits on this curve tracer. I thought they were there to show that voltage and current were running through that part of the circuit.
Dan
On Thursday, January 24, 2019, 8:45:48 AM PST, Dave Wise <david_wise@phoenix.com> wrote:

I investigated this when I was exploring repairs for my HP 141T A2V1 ZZ1000 voltage reference glow tube. Illuminating an NE-2 reduced the strike time much more than the strike voltage. I tried several lamps and all did the same.

Illuminating the VR tube did neither enough to be useful. I replaced it with a TL431/zener combo, see https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/album?id=68333 .

Dave Wise
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:07 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tektronix Neon Light replacement parts?

I shouldn't think it would be all that difficult
to test the strike voltage in various ambient lighting
conditions, both with and without the blue led...

-Chuck Harris

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.