I'm not sure what the two neon lamps that I broke the leads are B826 and B827, listed as NE-23, are used for strike voltage?
There are several other neon lamps in different circuits on this curve tracer. I thought they were there to show that voltage and current were running through that part of the circuit.
Dan

On Thursday, January 24, 2019, 8:45:48 AM PST, Dave Wise <david_wise@phoenix.com> wrote:

I investigated this when I was exploring repairs for my HP 141T A2V1 ZZ1000 voltage reference glow tube.  Illuminating an NE-2 reduced the strike time much more than the strike voltage.  I tried several lamps and all did the same.

Illuminating the VR tube did neither enough to be useful.  I replaced it with a TL431/zener combo, see https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/album?id=68333 .

Dave Wise
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Harris <cfharris@erols.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:07 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tektronix Neon Light replacement parts?

I shouldn't think it would be all that difficult
to test the strike voltage in various ambient lighting
conditions, both with and without the blue led...

-Chuck Harris

Harvey White wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 01:09:54 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

What about plain NE-2's and 1 or more blue led's shining on it?
Not sure what this would do for accuracy of strike voltage.  Ought to
lower it, though.  No idea if it would stay constant, either.

(have a power strip with the usual flickering neons, UV light or blue
light and they go on....)

Harvey

Leon Robinson    K5JLR

Political Correctness is a Political Disease.
Politicians and Diapers should be changed
often and for the same reasons.

    On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 6:30:01 PM CST, Dan Cordova via Groups.Io <danny_cordov=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

  Hi David,
Thank you for your prompt reply!
I found the lamps on the schematic and ordered some.
Once these are installed, the curve tracer should be back in working order. I found three paper caps that were bad and replaced them.
Speaking of radiation- I have a EG&G KN-2 tube that has Ni-63. It is a radioactive isotope of nickel, half life of  101 years, emits beta particles (when functioning). It was used for triggering a laser.
I'm retired from Sandia National Laboratories after 30+ years, don't glow at night, and haven't suffered any ill effects (yet) from soldering with Sn/Pb solder.
Thanks again for the info.
Dan

    On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 4:06:54 PM PST, David Holland <david.w.holland@gmail.com> wrote:

They appear to be NE-23's....  Eg: NE2's + Radioactive gas (that's no
longer radioactive by now) :-)

I'd probably just go with bog standard A1A's, as I don't believe
they're particularly critical (though I did not look).

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/VCC/A1A?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsEIsGLxVc9kJiHZr4x%252btYO

But if you want a little more radiation in your life, and be more
correct I gather they're called 5AB's now.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/VCC/5AB-BT?qs=oFdBtU78F3wIszsEPQJjcA%3D%3D

(No, I don't think there's any radiation danger, though I don't
recommend huffing a 5AB... :-P  )

David

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM Dan Cordova via Groups.Io
<danny_cordov=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello- while replacing bad capacitors on my Tektronix 575 Curve Tracer, I literally touched a couple of the neon lights and broke the leads.

Is there a replacement part the group can recommend?

The neon lights are useful to show at a glance that the circuit has power, but can the lights be replaced with a wire, or would I need to put a resistor in place?

TIA
Dan