Re: Tektronix Neon Light replacement parts?

A 575, 576, or 577 curve tracer is ideal for doing this. Be sure to use a 100K or equivalent load resistor so the bulb doesn't draw so much current it will burn up.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Harris
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tektronix Neon Light replacement parts?

I shouldn't think it would be all that difficult to test the strike voltage
in various ambient lighting conditions, both with and without the blue led...

-Chuck Harris

Harvey White wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 01:09:54 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

What about plain NE-2's and 1 or more blue led's shining on it?
Not sure what this would do for accuracy of strike voltage. Ought to
lower it, though. No idea if it would stay constant, either.

(have a power strip with the usual flickering neons, UV light or blue
light and they go on....)

Harvey

Leon Robinson K5JLR

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 6:30:01 PM CST, Dan Cordova via
Groups.Io <danny_cordov=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi David,
Thank you for your prompt reply!
I found the lamps on the schematic and ordered some.
Once these are installed, the curve tracer should be back in working
order. I found three paper caps that were bad and replaced them.
Speaking of radiation- I have a EG&G KN-2 tube that has Ni-63. It is a
radioactive isotope of nickel, half life of 101 years, emits beta particles
(when functioning). It was used for triggering a laser.
I'm retired from Sandia National Laboratories after 30+ years, don't glow
at night, and haven't suffered any ill effects (yet) from soldering with
Sn/Pb solder.
Thanks again for the info.
Dan
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 4:06:54 PM PST, David Holland
<david.w.holland@gmail.com> wrote:

They appear to be NE-23's.... Eg: NE2's + Radioactive gas (that's no
longer radioactive by now) :-)

I'd probably just go with bog standard A1A's, as I don't believe
they're particularly critical (though I did not look).

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/VCC/A1A?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsEIsGLxVc9k
JiHZr4x%252btYO

But if you want a little more radiation in your life, and be more
correct I gather they're called 5AB's now.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/VCC/5AB-BT?qs=oFdBtU78F3wIszsEPQ
JjcA%3D%3D

(No, I don't think there's any radiation danger, though I don't
recommend huffing a 5AB... :-P )

David

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM Dan Cordova via Groups.Io
<danny_cordov=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello- while replacing bad capacitors on my Tektronix 575 Curve Tracer, I
literally touched a couple of the neon lights and broke the leads.

Is there a replacement part the group can recommend?

The neon lights are useful to show at a glance that the circuit has
power, but can the lights be replaced with a wire, or would I need to put a
resistor in place?

TIA
Dan

--