Re: Tektronix Neon Light replacement parts?

Leon Robinson

What about plain NE-2's and 1 or more blue led's shining on it?

Leon Robinson    K5JLR

Political Correctness is a Political Disease.
Politicians and Diapers should be changed
often and for the same reasons.

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 6:30:01 PM CST, Dan Cordova via Groups.Io <danny_cordov=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi David,
Thank you for your prompt reply!
I found the lamps on the schematic and ordered some.
Once these are installed, the curve tracer should be back in working order. I found three paper caps that were bad and replaced them.
Speaking of radiation- I have a EG&G KN-2 tube that has Ni-63. It is a radioactive isotope of nickel, half life of  101 years, emits beta particles (when functioning). It was used for triggering a laser.
I'm retired from Sandia National Laboratories after 30+ years, don't glow at night, and haven't suffered any ill effects (yet) from soldering with Sn/Pb solder.
Thanks again for the info.
Dan

    On Wednesday, January 23, 2019, 4:06:54 PM PST, David Holland <david.w.holland@...> wrote:

They appear to be NE-23's....  Eg: NE2's + Radioactive gas (that's no
longer radioactive by now) :-)

I'd probably just go with bog standard A1A's, as I don't believe
they're particularly critical (though I did not look).

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/VCC/A1A?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsEIsGLxVc9kJiHZr4x%252btYO

But if you want a little more radiation in your life, and be more
correct I gather they're called 5AB's now.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/VCC/5AB-BT?qs=oFdBtU78F3wIszsEPQJjcA%3D%3D

(No, I don't think there's any radiation danger, though I don't
recommend huffing a 5AB... :-P  )

David

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM Dan Cordova via Groups.Io
<danny_cordov=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello- while replacing bad capacitors on my Tektronix 575 Curve Tracer, I literally touched a couple of the neon lights and broke the leads.

Is there a replacement part the group can recommend?

The neon lights are useful to show at a glance that the circuit has power, but can the lights be replaced with a wire, or would I need to put a resistor in place?

TIA
Dan