Re: Apologies from the Moderator

Vince Vielhaber

The underlying OS is based on FreeBSD, it's a Berkeley based unix. There are subtle differences between the two, such as the mac is case insensitive whereas unix is very case sensitive. If you know unix and especially Berkeley unix, the underlying filesystem actually makes sense and is really easy to work with. I have a mac mini but don't use it much any more.

Vince.

On 12/31/2018 04:42 AM, Dave Seiter wrote:
I hate to say it, but I tend to agree, and I've been using macs since the Plus, and I love them, but.... Most of the mac OS is great and easy to use, but ever since the major system upgrade (not sure if I mean 9 or 10), the file system just isn't as obvious as it used to be. Unless I use file folders on the desktop, they seem to vanish and files don't seem to go stay were I put them. Later I find multiple copies of the missing file all over the place. My favorite OS for serious work is still XP. At my last job I was the last user of it because I was running some old apps that were never updated. My PC was on without restart for 3-4 months at a time. When IT finally demanded that I upgrade, the newer OS crashed once or twice a week, usually at the most annoying moments. (And I lost a lot of custom functionality)
-Dave

On Sunday, December 30, 2018, 10:58:52 PM PST, Jim Ford <james.ford@...> wrote:

<<Once you go Mac, you never go back.>> Not necessarily. About a dozen
years ago, I decided to buy my wife a Mac mini, thinking it would be
easy for her to use. Nope, not easy, just different. Having used PCs
my entire career, I had no way to support her as house IT guy. She was
not able to use it without my support, so we sold that
sandwich-box-sized thingy at a loss, bought a PC, and never looked back.
I still don't like being the IT guy, but now at least I can do the job.
Having kids in their teens now helps.

Now, recently she got an iPad mini, for the sole purpose of spoofing
location for Pokemon Go. I don't have anything to do with the iPad or
Pokemon Go, so it's up to her friends to support her there. Come to
think of it, since her father went into a memory care facility and her
mother moved in with us about 6 months ago, she hasn't had the time to
do Pokemon Go anyway. No great loss, if you ask me.

Nope, I'm not buying into that whole Apple ecosystem. I can't believe
an iPhone is any better than a Samsung Galaxy smartphone, just
different.

Jim F