Re: Succession plans and wills - Re: [TekScopes] How Many Scopes?

G Hopper

As an estate and probate attorney and one who has handled several
significant estates from engineers who continued to work well past
retirement (and thus had more than a casual amount of stuff), the
assumptions that most testators (people that are making a plan for passing
and dealing with their stuff), make regarding the desirability and
marketability of their stuff is sadly inaccurate. As an example, several
times I've had clients tell me that their computer collections are worth
quite a lot and they'll just donate for a tax benefit. And I agree that
some of the collections have rare items and are indeed quite extensive. I
suggest to them to go get an appraisal (like if they would be getting it
insured) as well as having a frank discussion with organizations that
they'd have their executor donate to.

I do this because mostly no one thinks at all about the executor having to
actually deal with the stuff (or the attorney for that matter) and presume
that everyone is as knowledgeable and aware as they are about their stuff.

The results of that investigation usually disabuse people of the notion
that 1) any organization wants more than a few select pieces of a
collection, and/or 2) it's worth even a fraction of what they think it is.
When organizations are willing to take more than a small bit, it's usually
to sell the other items to raise cash. I'm also the attorney for a number
of smaller non-profits so I see the other side of the equation and most
groups don't have the volunteer expertise and time to deal with the items
that are proposed to be dumped off on them. Often the cost of dealing with
the 'donations' and the hassle of discarding electronics created policies
of not accepting 'enmasss' donations.

Collections of parts is an even worse situation. In fact I've been dealing
with one for going on two years as a charity case and this collection of
test gear, hardware, intellectual property, and parts was of substantial
value (purchase prices.) Who actually wants to buy a bank of parts drawers
containing resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc.? Pretty much no one.
They'll take it for free and add to their mess... that someone else down
the road will have to deal with and pass on yet again.

In the case of this estate, I'd estimate that in one set of drawers there
is something close to $20,000 retail of various kinds of newer* memory
devices. I've tried shopping it around and pretty much had no serious
takers. Offers of "we'll pay shipping" or "ship it to us and we'll
appraise it and send you a check..." Another set of drawers and boxes has
CPUs and microprocessors a plenty.... Other drawers hold other current
production devices. Same answers for most all the stuff.

I had similar results (pennies on the dollar) for some of the more
expensive and unusual test and manufacturing equipment. As an example,
there is a international power systems power supply that even includes
400Hz aircraft power in its capability. New units of similar design run
around $2000 to 2600. This one would seem to appraise out at $900-1000,
going for slightly more in the hands of a used equipment dealer (listing at
$1600.) I got one offer for $100.

*The engineer worked for a significant design and manufacturing company,
and did so from his home lab as a subcontractor after her retired young and
very well off. He died rather quickly (and young) with his parts inventory
being substantial due to (his) low volume production of several new
products ongoing.

Based on a repeat of these sorts of stories and experiences my advice has
been: get rid of stuff while you're still alive if you care about the stuff
getting into hands of people that truly appreciate it. And if you don't,
track down someone that understands the hardware and cares enough about you
to not let the stuff get tipped into a dumpster once you're gone. That
last thing has happened far more frequently than I like thinking about.

Hope this gives people some food for thought.
Grant

On 2018-12-08 2:38 PM, oliver johnson via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all I for one have more scopes than i can or will ever use , but for
some strange reason i keep getting them . For me it just fixing them that i
enjoy and once fixed it goes in the pile that i have , speaking of pile i
am looking for one last tek to complete my dual beam collection, 7844 is
the last tek needed for dual beam collection, if anyone has one reasonable
please let me know, thanks and keep the hobby going .

This thread really makes me wonder how many collectors have a succession
plan for when we can't take care of them all any more.

How many have lined up a Will, or executor who will successfully be able
to rehome your collection to a museum or suitably responsible individual?

The "wife seeks to get rid of 97 of husband's instruments by Sunday,
local pickup only", that we see semi-regularly now, is far from the
worst case scenario.

--Toby

Disclaimer: I haven't

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 1:39 PM, TomC<tomc@viclink.com> wrote: On
12/7/2018 3:15 PM, Craig Sawyers wrote:
Now just what do I do if I have to display more than 12 waveforms at
once ?

Ah - you can do that with a single 7844
How?