Re: ( the price of) printed original manuals

Ted Rook

Probably the single most important thing about scanning a schematic is to NOT USE the
default document scan settings. These have been provided for a specific purpose and are
good at it, the purpose is the rapid scanning of medium to low resolution monochrome text
pages which is a fancy way of saying typescript and photocopies of typescript. The eye is
very good at extracting information from imperfectly scanned typescript because it is so
familiar to us from constant useage, some fine detail thrown away in scanning doesn't usually
render the text document illegible.

On the other hand your typical manual schematic is not typescript, it includes a lot of very fine
detail, and is possibly worn from handling. When scanning this kind of original instead of
using "document" scan mode the smart thing to do is to use GRAYSCALE scan mode which
when faced with less than perfect originals to scan retains a significantly greater amount of
useful tonal detail that gets thrown away in the high contrast document scan mode. The
difference can be dramatic.

Ted

On 10 Nov 2018 at 2:51, Brian Symons wrote:

Since we have some knowledgeable people talking about digital paperwork
formats, perhaps we can get some hints on how to do a GOOD scan of your
own paperwork.

1.  How can you do the scanning with software & equipment that isn't
expensive.
      Do we have any users that are experts in low cost or open source
software for scanning, working with images, & pdf work.

2.  How do you get a good clean scan of paperwork that has various
shades of yellowing all over it or even watermarks (from getting damp).

3.  How do you clean up scans that are not very good quality?

4.  How do you clean up images?

Regards,
Brian.