Re: P6105 Probe

Chuck Harris

The "Pink Pearl" eraser was once a part of the kit used
by gold scrappers to gage plating thickness. There is a
direct relationship between rubs with a Pink Pearl eraser
needed to remove the gold plating down to the base metal,
and the thickness of the gold in microinches.

I remember reading this rule when I was a kid, working as
a silver plater.

-Chuck Harris

Phillip Potter wrote:

Being a retired teacher, might I suggest an "old school" pink eraser? They have no
grit.

Phil

On 10/28/2018 9:12 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:
You are going the wrong way. You want an eraser
that has no abrasive. Typing erasers are full of
abrasive.

The white plastic erasers, such as Sanford's Magic
Rub, or Staedtler's Mars-Plastic.

-Chuck Harris

Jeff Urban wrote:
Would a typing eraser work ?

I didn't want to just try anything, who knows it could be silver plated. If a
typing eraser will do the trick I'll find one. Years ago I wouldn't be caught dead
without one. I also cut them with a knife sometimes at an angle so that it has
support, at least going one way. There should be no problem carving it into the
proper shape or this.

Thanks.