Re: A (safer) way to look at the mains.....

Dale H. Cook

At 10:15 PM 10/20/2018, Dale Chayes wrote:

When I have to do this, I used to start with a 10:1 transformer
For decades I have looked at mains noise and distortion with a Beckman CT232 AC current clamp. It has a bandwidth of 30 Hz - 10 kHz and a range of 1-1000A. Its output is in ma per volt. I use it to feed a 'scope to look at the AC waveform, especially when looking for spikes, or to feed an HP 334A distortion analyzer to measure mains distortion and noise. Of source, it can also be plugged into a DMM or AMM to simply measure current.

Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/index.html