Re: 2445A calibration

Harvey White

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 23:19:49 -0700, you wrote:

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 04:58 PM, Harvey White wrote:

You used which disassembler to do this?
Harvey,

I used IDA (Interactive DisAssembler created by Ilfak Guilfanov. There is a Wiki page), you can see the section of photos in this thread for the screen capture. it's a semi-automated disassembler. You see the bytevector in front of you at the beginning and you manupulate it by instructing it to convert the byte vector to code/data/table of immediate data or vectors. The tool then will try to start from this, go and disassemble the rest. When it's blocked again you go, explore, instruct comment and give the tool a go. So it's an itterative work. It has a long list of features for signature searching in code, text, etc. I use IDA from the end of 90s. It's by far the only tool to re-create the source quality disassembly.
Ah, ok. They wanted money for that. Mine works the same way (all the
disassemblers that I wrote worked the same way as an option).

Mine runs on a GUI because I find GUIs easier to interact with.

In the tek code, I found a modified pascal string, where the first
byte 4 MSB are set to something other than 0 (I think it's a message
type tag) and the last 4 are the string length. MSB are set at times
in the characters in the string. Tek used this (in the DM5010) for
the 488 bus vocabulary.

Mine's not designed to put out source quality disassembly (some were),
but more as a tool for reverse engineering. The source quality stuff
is simply a matter of reformatting the output, so that's not a big
deal.

The whole nature of the thing is to be interactive, of course.

Ok, it was easier for me to continue work on the existing disassembler
than it was to learn and support python, and every other disassembler
was also command line driven, and I couldn't add features.

Thanks

Harvey