Re: 2445A calibration

Harvey White

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 13:03:56 -0400, you wrote:

I think that they did the same thing on the DM5010, but that's a
guess. The software disassembly (so far) seems to be very
unorganized. That implies far more than one person working on the
project. I'll further bet that there were multiple instances of
"revisions" done by the "patch it" algorithm.

Makes me wonder how much of that software in similar equipment was
done the same way.

Not heartening....

Harvey

Two further points I would like to make:

1) Maxim, you made the same mistake many bright guys have
also made when trying to do a job aimed at wage drones.
You out thought the instructions, instead of following
the instructions.

2) I truly hope that after you finish your calibration you
will return to analyzing the ROM code. It would be very
useful to have a reverse engineered annotated assembly
code listing of the ROM. You may not be the one that fixes
some of the problems in this beast, but your notes may
encourage someone else to try.

I, for one, think a debugged 2465A/B that runs as smoothly as
the original 2465 would be a rare and precious treat to use.

I believe the 2465 family was developed by a "tiger team" of
engineers and programmers. When they finished, and the 2465
was selling smartly, they took their accolades and went on to
management, and to other scopes.

When marketing decided the 2465 needed some more bells and
whistles to remain current and marketable, the tigers weren't
available as a team anymore, so one or two of the former tigers
managed a team of new kids, and let them play.

It's purely conjecture on my part, but I think it is close
to the truth.

-Chuck Harris