Re: 2445A calibration

Harvey White

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 16:05:14 -0400, you wrote:

Harvey White wrote:
<snip>
The largest problem is that the disassembler probes for given microprocessors
always lags the deployment of those microprocessors, and the fast evolution of
new processors means that the art is always running away from your investment
in probes.
Now for the 6800 and such, you could find the most up-to-date probe,
so that becomes less of a factor for that generation of processors,
I'd think.
Possibly, most of the older processor's pods have been long since scrapped,
but some are certain to still exist.

I just ditched some 6502, Z80, and 8085 emulators... They probably are still
available from the recycler if anyone is interested.
I probably would have liked the ones for the 8085 and the 6502, just
because. Every once and while, I need to look at some of those old
ones. Right now it's the 6802 that I need to look at.

A far better way of understanding an assembly program is to use a
good disassembler, that allows you to use your own labels for data and
jump addresses, and it is generally free. Plus, the software interface to
the hardware processors is surprisingly slow to change, and simple and
cheap to adapt.
Hmmm, got one for the 6800 series? I have core images...
A couple, actually. Sourceforge, and github are littered with them,
particularly the 6809, which is an upfeatured 6802 used in the automotive
industry.
I found a few, they want DOS.

I have one that I wrote that runs under windows and is gui driven.

PHK, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote a nice one that actually analyzes the code
by executing it. He used it to disassemble the code in some HP counters.
Hmmm, some people want money for those things, not that I begrudge him
the income, but I tend to go to open source.

That's what mine does, although I get tired of writing tools to make
tools....

IIRC, the 6802 did more integration of the RAM into the processor. I
think that the DM5010 uses one as well
Tek tended to use the 68B02, which is a 6802 without the internal RAM.
The one in the DM5010 isn't, I think, and actually has internal RAM.
For analysis cases, all it does (of course) is to change the location
of some of the RAM.

Harvey

-Chuck Harris