troubleshooting Tek453 Mod 210H

chuck

Folks,
just bought a 453 and of course there are problems. The trace is fat! Using the 1Khz internal signal when I put it on either channel the trace is out of focus and really hi intensity. The focus knob works to an extent but the intensity knob does nothing. I traced the signal thru the z amp and it behaves as it should as I adjust the knob the signal at the output stage (prior to going into the CRT control circuit) changes. I'm intimidated by the CRT circuitry and would love to get some feedback so that I'm not going in blind. The Tek troubleshooting guide talks about Typical High Voltage problems but does not really point me in a direction.
Any help would be appreciated. I have a couple of DVM's and a pocket scope (Chinese knock off) to work with.
Chuck