Re: And the winner is my "new" 7A13! Was: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

tom jobe <tomjobe@...>

I have been following this discussion, and today took a 4xx scope apart to study what all of you are talking about.
A Google search shows that the tools to remove these kinds of contacts come in many-many sizes and it seems the one closest in size to George's older tool has a 2.7mm hole instead of George's 2.5mm hole. This is addition to any dimensional problems the newer tools have. If the hole in the tool is too large and does not squeeze the spring contact in far enough to release the contact from the hole, that could possibly be Jim's problem?
The holes in the black plastic connector block appear to be very close to 0.125" (1/8th of an inch) which probably will work with the nominal 3.2mm outside diameter the tools are listed as having.
Maybe I will make some test parts on the lathe tomorrow to see what it takes to release those contacts.
tom jobe...

On 9/28/2018 11:21 AM, george edmonds via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Jim
I have a scrap 4XX scope and have tried to remove the sockets with the extraction tool that I have, it was a simple matter to do so.
Be aware that most of the extraction tools that originate in China are dimensionally poor, at best.
The tool that I have has a spring loaded plunger which you press and the socket just popped out,
The extractor tube dimensions are OD 3.2mm and the ID is 2.5mm , sorry as I have had this tool some 45 years I cannot give you any idea of the manufacturer as it is unmarked.
73 George G6HIG

On Friday, September 28, 2018 5:24 PM, Jim Olson <v_12eng@comcast.net> wrote:

Fabio,
Sorry I was referring to the 4xx series of scopes and the black main power connector on the back for the fuse and voltage selector jumper. I need to remove the connectors from the connector block there is a tek tool for this but can't find one so bought a pin and socket extractor set as it has the right size for the sockets. It will slide in and feels like it compresses the lock tabs but the socket won't release and slide out. So I wanted to put it to some of the more experienced folks here so anyone know this feel free to jump in I really don't want to cut off the primary wires for the transformer as the sockets are crimped and necessary and most likely hard to find.

Jim

On September 28, 2018 at 6:44 AM Fabio Trevisan <fabio.tr3visan@gmail.com mailto:fabio.tr3visan@gmail.com > wrote:

    Hello Jim,
    I`m not quite sure abut what equipment you're talking here?
    I saw a post from you about this subject some days ago and, although I don't remember exactly about what equipment it was, I`m confident that if it was about a model that I`m familiar with, it would have grabbed my attention (and maybe I would have even picked a try to answer you).
    Nevertheless... If you let me know the model, I can consult the manuals / pictures and give it my shot...
    If it's an equipment I never had (and I only had a 464 and now this 7623A), my guess will be as good as anyone's but I may be in a good day.
    Rgrds,
    Fabio

    On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 12:19 AM, Jim Olson wrote:

        > > Fabio,
        A side question here I need to remove the sockets from the main power
        connector, (fuse block), so got some tubular connector removal tools but when
        I slide it down the socket It feels like it pushes in the release tabs and
        stops but the socket won't pull out.
        So what kind of tool do I need here to get it to release? It's not working
        like I am used to with normal connectors!

        Jim