From: "Craig Sawyers" <c.sawyers@tech-enterprise.com>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: 9/15/2018 3:07:34 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] S-4 issues

So, I have two S-4 sampling heads, one of which works fine, and the
other I just obtained from a
TekScopes member.  The 2nd one causes the screen to stay blank when I
plug it into my 7S12 in my
7904 scope.  Is it shorting out a pin in the 7S12 and dropping the Z
axis to nothing?

Besides ESD discipline, which is drilled into my head at my defense
contractor employer, and the
+/-5
V limit on the tunnel diodes, is there anything else I need to be
aware of before I open up both
S-4's?
First thing I guess is to look for visibly obvious shorts, and then
I'll poke around with a DMM.
Checked
one DMM last night in ohms mode with another DMM in volts mode: 3 V
maximum when open
circuited, so no problem there.

Thanks for your help in keeping me from inadvertently damaging a
precious S-4 with (fingers crossed)
just some silly fault and not dead tunnel diodes.

Jim
The bridge diodes are not tunnel diodes  - they are conventional low
capacitance Schottky barrier chip
diodes die bonded onto a ceramic substrate and wire bonded to the
metallisation.

I seem to recall that a problem with one of my S4's (or it might have
been an S2 or S6) is a black
tubular tantalum going short. Not the usual bead type that dies.

Worth checking before pointing the finger at the bridge diodes.

Craig

---
https://www.avg.com