Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes] 466-464 stray wire

stefan_trethan

Yea that's another way.
The pump isn't really the problem, it works fine on the chinese station,
just in the Metcal they forgot the muffler.

The guys who construct the automated production machines were also
astonished by the noise, saying they put silencers on every exhaust port.

I don't think the Metcal compressed air valve will work for vacuum. Sure
you could fit a microswitch instead but then you are back to fixing a new
$1k piece of kit...

ST

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, 17:51 Chuck Harris, <cfharris@...> wrote:

I am puzzling over why you guys are so focused
on vacuum pumps. The pump is trivial.

What you really want to concentrate on is a vacuum
accumulator, and a quick acting solenoid valve.

Bring the vacuum accumulator up to the pump's maximum
vacuum and maintain it there. Open the solenoid valve
whenever you press the solder extractor's trigger.

The next part of the equation is to use the largest
diameter hoses that are consistent with the solenoid
valves flow rate.

-Chuck Harris

EricJ via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Stefan,
In terms of performance, I think the Metcal will win. The Chinese
station might reach a higher blocked vacuum level but that's not what we
desire when desoldering. The flow never stops when I desolder. What you
want is an instant on, high volume suction so that the liquid solder is
instantly pulled right out of the joint without having time to cool and
solidify due to air flow cooling it off. I would bet that the heating
performance of the Metcal will also outdo the Chinese station.
It's pretty clear from watching the gauge that the Metcal snaps the
needle right to its maximum vacuum, while the Chinese one lazily builds
vacuum but to a bit higher final level. I'll take the Metcal - just didn't
buy mine new, so my price was probably closer to the Chinese one. Good luck
with whatever you decide.
P.S. you might want to put some sound absorbent materials on your walls
and/or floor. Like rugs or rubber mat for the floor and even posters or
pictures on the wall. It looks as though that room is mostly bare and
sounds like you have a LOT of reflective surfaces in there which really
amplifies any noise level. No wonder it seems very loud to you.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: stefan_trethan <
stefan_trethan@...> Date: 9/7/18 9:32 AM (GMT-06:00) To:
TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes]
466-464 stray wire
I made a video showing the difference between the two desoldering
stations:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ggDtwSi4CcJEzAP78

The Metcal does move a higher volume of air, 23 seconds to empty a
bag, compared to 30 seconds for the chinese station, but in terms of
blocked off pressure the chinese station is significantly better.

A rag and some foam rubber does cut down on the noise quite a bit, but
nowhere near the level of the chinese station.

Make up your own mind if you want to pay 10 times the money for this.
Thanks for your help.

ST

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 9:07 AM EricJ via Groups.Io
<wyzkydd2358=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Well it's like the rest of us said, the noise doesn't bother us. I
actually find it not bothersome at all. Additionally, I have used it a
million times in the basement while the very young kids are sleeping in the
room right above without waking them. It just isn't a problem to me. YMMV,
and that's fine.
stefan_trethan@...> Date: 9/7/18 12:27 AM (GMT-06:00) To:
TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes]
466-464 stray wire
I already have a bunch of OK working desoldering stations.
What I was looking for is spending well more than what my car is worth
to upgrade them to something better.
My wishlist was a bit more thermal power, and a bit better quality so
the tips and heaters don't wear out as much, that's not asking much if
you are willing to spend 10 times the money.
This does _not_ mean I'm willing to accept severe trade-offs in other
areas, especially since I compare them to units that cost well under
$100 originally.

I just don't care if the Metcal works well, with that level of noise I
simply don't even need to unpack the power unit because I can never
use it.
It is obvious not only for me but everyone else I showed it to that
this level of noise is not only unacceptable but completely
unnecessary for function.

I think when I am willing to spend whatever is asked I am not paying
just for materials, I am also paying for engineering and I am paying
for the Metcal engineer to spend five minutes of his valueable time to
consider the noise level in his design and take simple steps to
mitigate it. That venturi generators need silencers is not a novel
concept, every pneumatics manufacturer that offers them (e.g. SMC) has
equipped his generators with integral silencers or appropriate
threaded exit ports and offers suitable silencers, not just a freaking
hole in a casting for the air to fart out.

While I am certain I can modify the guns to produce only a reasonable
amount of noise I just don't see why I should do that. It's fine that
I have to finish a $100 chinese Hakko knockoff myself, I expect that,
but if I pay top dollar I expect a finished product. (The Metcal gun
is now also made in China btw).

You guys are like "Yea sure you are test driving this BMW and they
forgot to put on an exhaust muffler, but who gives a damn if it rips
your eardrums out, it goes FAST, so just get over it and wear
headphones". This is _not_ _an_ _option_ for me. I'm just glad I
insisted on a demo unit instead of buying this thing outright.

ST

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 6:17 AM Pete Lancashire <xyzzypdx@...>
wrote:

When I use my DS-1 yeah it's loud but it works it sucks solder out of
places very few others will such as my old boat anchors.

If the noise is excessive to you how about getting a little low-cost
cheapy
like the hakko line powered one works pretty good on small stuff.

Think of it like having two soldering irons I metcal for the little
stuff
and a big old hexacon for the old stuff

Or if it's too noisy wear headphones