Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Dave Wise

I fixed my mechanical 7A13, but maybe it was lucky. If it's cheap or free, take it anyway; you can always monitor externally. Or maybe you'll be the one to design a retrofit.

Dave Wise
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 4:01 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Hi Fabio,

Raymond is partially correct.

A 7D14 does not measure period. It is strictly a high frequency (512MHz) counter.
The 7D15 is a universal counter / timer. As such it is far more flexible. It will automatically monitor the trigger signal if it is in a horizontal slot but it CAN also be used in a vertical or slot by connecting the signal being measured by the vertical plugin to the A or B input of the 7D15.

Your choice would depend on what you want to do. Several people have recommended the 7A13. I can add one more important who has told me on several occasions that he thinks the 7A13 is the most useful plugin. That would be the design engineer of the 7A16A, 7A18, 7A24, 7A25 (not produced), and 7A26 plugins, and the 7854 scope.

I like the 7A13 also, and, like you, I was annoyed for many years with the empty slot in my 7704A. I solved the empty slot a long time ago. Unfortunately, I didn't know when to stop.

If you purchase a 7A13 make sure to get one of the digital ones. The plastic used to make the gears in the mechanical 7A13 expand over time and crack off their axle or jam up. This can't be fixed.

Dennis Tillman W7PF