Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes] 466-464 stray wire

David Kuhn

Wow, that's about a $950 setup as far as I can see. It looks great though.

I've always used a HAKKO 808 for thru-hole de-soldering and wick. The
Hakko 808 isn't real cheap either and it's supplied (tips, filters,
replacement elements, etc.) can add up. I use it when really necessary.
For easy stuff, I use the old fashion hand pump and wick. When I am
working on more delicate boards, that still have thru-hole, then I use the
Hakko.

I see Hakko has a cheaper FR300-xxx for about $270.00. It looks like it
uses the same tips.

I guess I am a Hakko fanboy (lol). I love their irons and use a 928 setup
daily, with a chisel tip and a micro-tip.

For Hot Air, I tried a Chinese 862D+ and it is pure garbage. It make hot
air but blows the ground faults all the time (My shop is in the basement,
so all lines are on 20 amps GFCI breakers. i need a hot air system that
won't break the bank. Hakko hot air is probably too expensive.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Dave

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 8:21 AM stefan_trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

Based on your recommendation I now have a demo unit of the Metcal
MX5210 here, with the MX-DS1 desoldering gun.
But there is a problem with it - it is incredibly loud, measured at
95dB(A).
I have the correct pressure and everything installed per the
instructions, but surely this can't be right.
The venturi exhausts directly into the handle, which is completely
empty, no silcencer of any kind, and the air comes out via a slot into
your palm which seems odd too.

Please let me know if your MX-DS1 is built the same, or if there
should be some kind of silencer in the handle which is missing on
mine. The sound level is completely unacceptable, not just for
co-workers but also for the operator, 95dB is mandatory hearing
protection level loud...

ST