Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes] 466-464 stray wire

stefan_trethan

I have it on 80psi as per the manual.
Can you please look into the slot at the back (palm side) and see if
there is any sound dampening material inside?
I can take off the side of the handle with two screws and it is
completely empty, the air from the venturi just comes out into this
space from a hole in the casting. All the seals are just fine
(everything is new), and it makes no difference if the suction side is
blocked or not, all the noise comes from the wild stream of air
exiting into the handle.

You definitely couldn't have a conversation within a few feet of this
thing, and even across the room it would be incredibly annoying.
It sounds like a loud compressed air blow-out gun (not surprising
since there is absolutely no silencer on the output).
My modified chinese desoldering station, wich also has a venturi
vacuum generator, makes just 60dB(A).

60dB(A) is quite acceptable in a shared lab/office space, but the
95dB(A) Metcal is absolutely unacceptable, even for the operator, let
alone everyone else.

I have made photos of my demo unit with the handle disassembled:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v3TY1V5umNdp4UMB6
Here you can see the slot at the back of the handle where the air comes out:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KNSNjr6yX5fVe5mt5

Please let me know if this is normal, or if my unit is defective or
missing parts.
I will take it up with the vendor, but in my experience they often
know little about the tools they sell and have not used them.
Unless there are parts missing and this can be remedied it will go
back, no way I can use this.

ST

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 3:44 PM Bruce Lane <@kc7gr> wrote:

Mine works exactly the same way, but it doesn't seem overly loud to me.
Granted, I never measured it with a sound level meter (as, apparently,
you have), but I never felt the need to.

You might have it operating at too high a pressure. It should be right
around 100PSI, even. I would also check to make sure all the filters,
are clean, all the seals are present and working (there's a fat 'o-ring'
style seal around the desolder tip and a perimeter gasket lining the top
half of the collection chamber), and the venturi itself isn't cracked or
loose.

I hope that helps.

On 06-Sep-18 05:21, stefan_trethan wrote:
Based on your recommendation I now have a demo unit of the Metcal
MX5210 here, with the MX-DS1 desoldering gun.
But there is a problem with it - it is incredibly loud, measured at 95dB(A).
I have the correct pressure and everything installed per the
instructions, but surely this can't be right.
The venturi exhausts directly into the handle, which is completely
empty, no silcencer of any kind, and the air comes out via a slot into
your palm which seems odd too.

Please let me know if your MX-DS1 is built the same, or if there
should be some kind of silencer in the handle which is missing on
mine. The sound level is completely unacceptable, not just for
co-workers but also for the operator, 95dB is mandatory hearing
protection level loud...

ST

--
---