Re: OT: +19.5 V connector on laptop computers

Harvey White

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:12:56 -0700, you wrote:

I've seen a standardization to several end destinations. One is that
the voltage rating seems to determine the size of the barrel
connector. That's now, from what I can see.

Secondly, there's a current limit that's also imposed. I have an HP
that wants higher current for the supply, and does not have the (older
standard) 5.5/2.1 (whichever *is* the "standard")) connector. It's
actually smaller in the barrel.

I'm going to conclude that there's an evolving standard out there, and
I have no idea of what it is.

Now, that is completely screwed up by the "DELL" standard, which
apparently includes some HP laptops.

Dell has a 3 wire cable to the power supply brick. The inner pin is
apparently an I2C connector. The inner and outer shells are power and
ground (suggest that the outer is ground). In a DELL computer, if the
power block does not identify itself as a "genuine" power adaptor,
then the battery will not charge.

Those adaptors (and don't ask me what I think of them) work with a
different standard. Not sure what the effective voltage and current
limits are in this case.

Bottom line, there *is* somewhat of a standard (don't know what it is)
that is now applied to barrel and pin diameters for different voltage
limits.

Harvey

They do seem to be approaching some modicum of standardization finally. My sister had 2 laptops different brands and the power supplies were interchangeable, and my Gateway supply runs them as well. They are all about 19 volts and it seems the polarity has been matching. I noticed an older Gateway adapter would not work on my newer Gateway and I suspect it is because it pulls more current. Maybe not running but it might charge faster. The diameter of the whole thing is the same but the pin in the middle is larger.

Right now I have the whole Toshiba motherboard for sale but you don't want it for just that. It works so I don't want to turn it into a parts mule. the older laptop is going to be my music server on the garage if I can ever get the wireless to work on it. you might look around for a laptop that has been dropped or something, you are not going to do mass production, right ?

Another idea might be a music store that sells electric, they likely also have effects pedals and many of them run of a wall wart. I worked at a music store like that for a bit and they had 2 boxes full of wall warts, one box of AC and one box of DC. they migth have some pedals that they can't fix. You can just try the plug, not even powering it up. The voltage doesn't matter, as long as it makes the connection.

Also for a one off (that's what engineers call them I think) you can just cut the wire and put on any connector you please.