Re: If you had $1, 000 to buy a 100 MHz scope...

stefan_trethan

I have a TDS544 at home, which is somewhat similar to the newer
TDS784D, and I really dislike the display, menu structure, and general
lack of responsiveness.
To me this is the point where Tek went wrong, and I have not liked any
Tek scope from this point on.
Often I prefer to fire up the 7d20 digitizer in a 7k mainframe, when I
know it's only slow signals and I don't need 4 channels.

The later TDS3000 series was extremely popular, but I just straight
out hate the darn things.
From that vintage on I really much prefer Lecroy, even a LC series,
with LCD screen if you can get it instead od the CRT, yes, I would
much prefer that over the Tek ones.
I used to have a Lecroy DDA125 as my main work scope until a year or
two ago, and it is _A LOT_ of scope which you may now get in the $1000
range (The DDA is the same as a LC684 only with special HDD options
added). Not as repairable as old Tek (but so is new Tek).

Now I have a HRO64Zi at work which I got a really good deal on when
they discontinued the series, but still well outside your $1k budget.
That is a fine scope, but _even less_ responsive than the TDS544 or
DDA125. It needs to think and calibrate itself _all the f-ing time_.
But you can so so much with it, it somewhat compensates for the lack
of responsiveness. And the 12 Bit, I wouldn't want to miss that.
It is not the best scope for random debug or fault finding, but for
analysis when you need to get numbers out, document or compare stuff,
it's great.

Anyway, that's well out of price range, all I'm saying is I do miss
using the old DDA125 some days.
So for me the decision for a used scope in the 1k range would be easy,
the DDA125 or something very similar any day.

But is it really better than a modern low end scope, like a Rigol?
Hard to tell. There is something those old "lab grade" scopes have
that you just don't get in a low end scope.
We have a Keysight 3000x at work that I use some times, and it always
infuriates me when you are limited by stupid things such as not enough
reference channels, or not enough math, or...
Also, on that Keysight you can't switch off analog persistence (just
like a Tek TDS3000) and I dislike that.

Of course a new scope will have convenient modern features you just
won't find on one made around the year 2000.
And it will be lightweight, easy to carry around, likely work reliably
without needing repair.

It is the same as with a car, do you prefer a used quality car, or a
cheap and cheerful new car?
I don't mind old, but I do like quality.

What I can say is that the new very lowest end Tek/Keysight/Lecroy are
_not_ worth the money in my mind.
You still pay extra for the brand, but you get nothing above and
beyond say a Rigol, less actually.
They try to capture that market by either re-labeling imported crappy
scopes, or building their own crappy scopes to the cheapest price, but
they can never beat a lesser brand with their high overheads.

So the choice for me would be between a Rigol 1000Z, or something, and
a DDS125, or something like it.

If you can still do that thing where you buy the low end Rigol and
they let you upgrade it to a higher end model, I'd be hard pressed to
make a choice.
Luckily, I don't have to.

ST

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 6:45 PM, Pete Lancashire <xyzzypdx@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm trying to break the habit of buying old scopes. I'm looking for
suggestions 100 megahertz or better, 4 channels, supports a mode where
multiple pulses are shown over and over again and shows Distortion errors.
I would say that's the one unique thing.

So what would members of this is esteamed group suggest.

And older tek scope that is higher, TDS784D for example or a new Tek /
keysight / Regal