Re: What removes sticker residue without hurting the blue paint?

David Berlind

I second the naptha (lighter fluid) suggestion (although I haven't used it
on paint). I had a Simpson multimeter that had a price tag affixed to its
plastic lens for what was probably many years. I didn't want to scratch or
damage the lens. I was able to lightly fingernail the paper part off.. but
the adhesive remained. After asking around (here and on other forums), I
settled on trying naptha. I was worried that it might dissolve the plastic.
But I decided to give it a go. I couldn't find a store that sold it. So, I
went to a smoke shop and there were about a dozen guys inside puffing on
giant stogies. The store was a bona fide gas chamber. I held my breath for
the duration of the transaction and until I exited the store. I got the
lighter fluid but when I got back in the car, my daughters were choking
from the stench that I had absorbed during the 60 seconds I was in the
store. When I got home, I applied the lighter fluid with a q-tip and the
adhesive came of beautifully with no damage to the lens.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:33 AM, Phillip Potter <p.potter@...>
wrote:

For what it’s worth, after scrubbing the covers on my filthy 453 with a
Scotch Brite pad and IPA (the only thing that would cut the slime!), they
had a matte appearance. After consulting the “Tek Brain Trust,” I wiped
them down with WD-40 to return a shiny lustrous appearance. It helped (not
harmed) the blue Tek paint.

Now, my 453 “Shines like a dime!”

Phil, N6OMM

On Jun 11, 2018, at 11:06 PM, Adam <adam_alterman@...> wrote:

I have good success removing sticker residue with WD-40, but cannot
vouch for it’s safety on TEK blue paint.