Re: What removes sticker residue without hurting the blue paint?

stefan_trethan

I use denatured alcohol (denatured with denatonium benzoate) and found
it safe on all plastics, but I have been told the stuff in the US can
be denatured with methanol or even gasoline so be careful.

Somewhere between ethanol and acetone in terms of strength is ethyl
acetate. I don't have enough experience to advise on paint
compatibility.

The oil method and citrus based remover work well too, but the citurs
smell can be a bit strong.

ST

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 6:13 AM, Bob Albert via Groups.Io
<bob91343=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wonder if denatured alcohol would work. I have used it successfully on many things. About the only thing stronger might be acetone but that will eat the paint too.
Bob
On Monday, June 11, 2018, 8:40:39 PM PDT, G Hopper <kb7wsd@...> wrote:

One more vote: Goo gone is my go to. I learned about it from a woman who
refurbished photographic enlargers years ago. Mild and didn't damage
anything, but worked amazingly on adhesives and grease. Has a pleasant
smell too.

73,
Grant
KB7WSD

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:35 PM, David M <@DaveM> wrote:

I've used WD40 with good results. Most paints seem to tolerate it well.
As with any old finish, rubbing will likely damage it. I spray a small
amount of it on the sticker, let it rest for a few minutes, spray again,
and the sticker usually comes right off, leaving what's left of the
adhesive mostly dissolved. A paper towel soaked with WD40 takes care of
the residue.
Don't know what's in WD40, or what's different from GoofOff, but, as with
almost EVERYTHING else, use at your own risk.

Dave M

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 07:10 pm, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:

What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the
paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(

Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against
the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the
glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so
that
is no good.

Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone
or
would it siften the paint as well.

Suggestions are welcome.