Re: What removes sticker residue without hurting the blue paint?

Chuck Harris

I avoid any cleaners that contain the solvent butylcellosolve.
It is a terrific solvent for grease, dirt, plastics, and soaks
into vinyl like it is a good idea. Given time, it will make
vinyl sticky... very sticky.

Unless they have changed their formulation, Formula 409 is mostly
butylcellosolve.

-Chuck Harris

ken chalfant wrote:

Greetings,

I have had very good results with WD-40 and a little patience.

I have used it on HP and Tek cabinets as well as an assortment of plastic enclosures.

After the WD-40 loosens the old label and sticky PSA residue then a little clean-up with alcohol, Windex or Sparkle usually finishes the job. 401 also works, but sometimes seems a little harsh.

My two cents.

Regards,

Ken

On 11Jun, 2018, at 8:10 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF> wrote:

A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:

What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(

Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so that
is no good.

Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone or
would it siften the paint as well.

Suggestions are welcome.