Re: What removes sticker residue without hurting the blue paint?

Chuck Harris

Naptha, or lighter fluid does a good job, and is
mild on paints and plastics.

Hot air will often allow you to peel off a sticker
more or less intact, but will usually leave the
stickum behind... which you will still have to
remove with something like lighter fluid.

-Chuck Harris

Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:

What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(

Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so that
is no good.

Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone or
would it siften the paint as well.

Suggestions are welcome.