Re: OT: Old ICs for sale

Dave Seiter

When I first started selling, just about anything listed was sold in the first or second attempt.  I stopped selling for a long time because they dinged you for everything, and the huge volume of items meant that some things just wouldn't sell- I was losing money.  It wasn't until you could list for free that I went back to selling.
-Dave

From: Daniel Koller via Groups.Io <kaboomdk=yahoo.com@groups.io>
To: "TekScopes@groups.io" <TekScopes@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 11:35 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] OT: Old ICs for sale

Ditto here.  I haven't had a serious bidding war on any item I've sold in years either.  I financed my hobby budget in grad school by selling old junk vacuum equipment and old Tek stuff and it used to be worthwhile to sell it.  As e-bay popularity increased, I suppose more competition grew, and also large surplus sellers came on-board, which is great for buyers, not so much for individual sellers.  Fees also increased, and for that matter, shipping is through the roof now.    
But I also don't "bid" now.  I always "snipe" (with auctionsniper).   That lets me think about the price I think the item is "worth" and what I am willing to pay for it in a calm, rational environment.  I set the desired price and walk away.  If I get it for a low bid, great, and if I go to the maximum, at least I don't end up regretting it immediately.
  Dan

On Monday, June 11, 2018, 2:14:00 PM EDT, Dave Seiter <d.seiter@...> wrote:

A bidding war hasn't happened to any of my listings for years, but yeah, it's so much fun to watch!  These days, it's usually only rare items that end up in bidding wars, but certain categories see more activity than others.  Another fun event is having two or more people snipe with "silly" bids at the last second.
-Dave

To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] OT: Old ICs for sale

Hi Tom, and everyone who bids on Ebay,

There is some misunderstanding about prices on Ebay: Newbies and or sellers with stores frequently list their items with arbitrarily high prices. Sometimes they simply look at current listings and price accordingly.

BUT what really matters is what these items SOLD for. To find that out you have to look carefully through the completed listings for the auctions that were successfully concluded.

That will tell you the true price the market thinks this is worth.

If there is an outlier in the completed auctions that sold for a truly outrageous price you have to look at the bidding that took place. It was probably between two newbies that didn't understand how Ebay works and they kept outbidding each other by a few dollars each time. If you are a seller you always hope your item will be bid up by newbies to absurd prices. It is lots of fun to watch one of these bidding wars take place and wonder where it will end.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----

On 11/06/18 05:19, G Hopper wrote:
I suppose that for $55 there probably is some value in that offering
even if some of the chips are dead.  I do have to chuckle since I have
some of the same stuff as NOS in my parts drawers and amongst the
boxes I've inherited from others.  Never really considered the
possibility that any of it had value.  "There's gold in them there
drawers!!!!"

Perhaps more than you might think - and they don't even have to be
unused. Look at the fleabay prices for "mustard capacitors" and
"germanium transistor"

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.