Re: New file uploaded to TekScopes@groups.io

Richard Knoppow

Also may be a carryover from aluminum electrolytic practice where caps were supposed to be run at near rated voltage to keep the electrolytic layer formed. There is something in the book "Reference Data for Radio Engineers" forth edition about this. It says that if a higher voltage electrolytic cap is run at low voltage it will soon become a low voltage cap. I don't know if this is true for modern electrolytics but I was taught it was good practice. Just the opposite was true of paper caps who's life was proportional to the ratio of operating voltage to rated voltage.

On 6/2/2018 1:31 AM, David C. Partridge wrote:
Yes, but remember that *at the time* that Tektronix and everyone else who
used dipped tantalum capacitors did so because the manufacturers said they
were just fine to run at or just below rated voltage without failing.
Hard lessons learnt over the years ...
Dave
--
Richard Knoppow