Re: How old?

ArtekManuals

Yes increasing but not necessarily continuous and never tied to any particular date code that you can determine with your secret Tektronix Decoder Ring

-DC
manuals@...

On 5/9/2018 11:39 AM, Pete Lancashire wrote:
Are serial numbers not monotonically increasing?

yes see below

And I've always assumed that each model has its own serial number
sequence, rather than there being one Tek-wide serial number sequence.

wrong, see below.

Let me try.

Other than rare occasions Tek when the adopted the "six digit" serial
number system it went like this

The letter identified the manufacturing location. The number 0 - Zero was
also used.

the next two digits were for design changes during the manufacturing life
of the product, the digits started at 101.

the remaining four digits where starting at 0001 the build sequence number.

So far example the first 7704 of the line at Beaverton would have the
serial number B010101.

An exception is when a design change was major. There the serial numbers my
go from B041234 to B050101.

I think the 465 did this, but don't hold me to it.

In these cases a new service manual was produced.

Hence if you have in front of you two 7704's and one is B021234 and the
other is B071514, the only thing you
can say is the on with serial number B071514 was built after the other one.

Many years ago I posted the complete list of sites codes etc, but others
may have it now.

-pete

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Brian Cockburn <
brian.cockburn.1959@...> wrote:

Artekmedia, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "serial numbers
have nothing to do with time". Are serial numbers not monotonically
increasing? And I've always assumed that each model has its own serial
number sequence, rather than there being one Tek-wide serial number
sequence. Does anyone know definitively one way or the other?

--
Dave
Manuals@...