Re: 7904 Mainframe damaged

bobh@joba.com

They say in the article that a low resistance indicates a problem in the mainframe which is true if you are looking at something shorting to ground.  But, in your case I would not discount that high current caused a open circuit while trying to get back to the source.  I suppose you already looked for any signs of burning or smoked components, leads, traces, etc.

Bob.

On 4/10/2018 7:44 AM, JJ wrote:
Yes the resistances were very high. According to that doc, the issue should
be on the PSU. I'm going to put the PSU back into the mainframe, connect
the cables, and make those voltage measurements on the LV regulator board.
I didn't check for voltages before taking the PSU out because I didn't know
at that time that the PSU needs to be under minimum load.

I found a shorted cap C1360 on the rectifier board (+54v filter cap on
output of Pi filter). I'm going to lift one lead to ensure it's the
problem. I'm also going to validate that the two power diodes that I found
are shorted - by disconnecting the wires going to those diodes and
measuring. If the diodes are bad, I'll replace the bad 10A diodes with two
5A diodes in parallel temporarily - hoping that's OK, I'll then hook up the
mainframe's cables to the PS and check the voltages. I think the 3 cables
are long enough for the PSU to hang out the back. If not, I plan on making
extender cables.

Best,
John

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Robert Hay <bobh@...> wrote:

Have you checked resistances as suggested in the Service Scope article?

And then voltages with the supply outside the scope but still connected?

Bob.

On 4/10/2018 6:38 AM, JJ wrote:

Hi Tony, So, based on your findings, you have confirmed that the the PSU
needs to be under load in order to be functional. I will check all the
caps
on those 3 boards as well. Thank you for the info - it's very, very
helpful.
I hope the experts on this forum can help you out with the remainder of
your 7904's issues.

Best,
John

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Yiu On Tony C via Groups.Io <
tonycheung_hk@...> wrote:

Hi JJ :
I am from Hong Kong ! I just complete the repair of PSU of TEK7904 , I am
lucky , I find a SHORT E-Cap. once I replace it and turn on PSU alone ,
It
still sound shut-down ! once I connect to main unit , it come normal .
I found few E-Cap short on A9 H amp board, A2 Main interface board and
A12 Rectifier board
For the power diode , I did check each by de-solder the to wire only .
My 7904 still have other issue , H ok but the read-out still error in
units , Y are not function -- position knob no response .

RegardTony CheungAPR 10 2018