Re: Tektronix Type 575 Transistor Curve Tracer - $75 (Syracuse)

tom jobe <tomjobe@...>

On the mechanical side of things, have a look at the fan assembly under the left side cover in the back of the 575.
The fan mounts are little rubber widgets with a threaded stud coming out of both ends. If the little mounts are broken use some Ty-wraps or whatever to roughly hold it all in place and centered until you buy some new mounts. McMaster-Carr has the exact replacements in stock as do other companies.
Then see if the fan turns easily. There is an oil hole at both ends of the fan motor that should be facing upward, if not rotate the whole fan assembly in its mounts and oil it with some good sewing machine oil or equivalent. It might take a little playing with the fan motor to get it all loosened up and oiled properly.
Then I'd have a good look around under the covers, then maybe do some cleaning while you wait for some advice about applying power to your 575.

On 3/24/2018 8:14 AM, Matthew Hofmann wrote:
I finally picked up the 575 Curve tracer from my nephew. Before I plug it in and turn it on and look for smoke, is there anything I should do? I don't have a variac. I haven't restored and old piece of equipment like this, but I vaguely remember using one way back in the 70's.

Thanks!
Matt