Capacitors Question?

Mlynch001

We all know the horror stories about the leaky capacitors in TEK Scopes. This may have been answered, however, I cannot find this in a search. I am thinking that the first Surface mounted caps were used in the late 80's and early 90's and these were the ones that had serious electrolyte leakage issues. My question is, about WHEN was this issue solved so that these types of caps were no longer a serious problem? I have a TDS460A that has an inspection date on the CRT of mid 1998 and the caps on the main board look beautiful. Solder joints are clean and bright, there is no apparent leakage or corrosion present. The scope works fine, so I do not want to mess with it unless it begins to exhibit problems.

Michael Lynch

mlynch002@gmail.com

TEK 2440A
TEK TDS360