Re: Re-introduction to the group

Tom Gardner

On 26/02/18 02:59, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
Hi Brian,
I think you should look elsewhere for the source of your access problem. There is no blacklist.

Years ago I discovered the benefit of having two completely different browsers on my desktop so I could eliminate them as the source of slowdowns, access problems, or apparent internet outages.

It also helps to have two different operating systems you can use if you suspect a web site or email that may have a virus.
If you are going down that route, you might as well go the whole hog and use a US military system designed to avoid the operating system and browser being compromised. There are obvious disadvantages, so I only use it for occasional internet banking sessions.

From the website https://www.tens.af.mil/lipose.htm ...

Trusted End Node Security (TENS^™ ) creates a secure end node from trusted media on almost any Intel-based computer (PC or Mac). TENS^™ boots a thin Linux operating system from removable media without mounting a local hard drive. Administrator privileges are not required; nothing is installed. TENS^™ turns an untrusted system (such as a home computer) into a trusted network client. No trace of work activity or malware can be written to the local computer. Simply plug in your USB smart card reader to access CAC <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Access_Card>; and PIV <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Identity_Verification>;-restricted US government websites.

TENS^™ differs from traditional operating systems in that it isn't continually patched. TENS^™ is designed to run from read-only media and without any persistent storage. Any malware that might infect a computer can only run within that session. A user can improve security by rebooting between sessions, or when about to undertake a sensitive transaction. For example, boot TENS^™ immediately before performing any online banking transactions. TENS^™ should also be rebooted immediately after visiting any risky websites, or when the user has reason to suspect malware might have been loaded. In any event, rebooting when idle is an effective strategy to ensure a clean computing session.

TENS^™ is updated on a regular basis. Be sure to update to the latest version to have the latest protection and most recent drivers.