Re: TekWiki Helper Idea. Brainstorm or Washout?

Michael A. Terrell

My thoughts are: You first see if there are any options listed for an item. If not, or you find one not listed have an FTP upload area to submit it as a either a plain text file, or use a fill in the blanks template that can be reviewed and added to the existing wiki. That takes the heavy lifting of the research off of Kurt's back.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com>
Sent: Feb 25, 2018 10:26 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] TekWiki Helper Idea. Brainstorm or Washout?

Michael Terrell had an interesting idea that might save us time but as near as I can tell it would only make a lot more work for Kurt at TekWiki.
Michael's idea was to list the options for each model on TekWiki.

The more general question is what would it take to list every option for every instrument on Kurt's web site. I know Kurt doesn't have the time. He has a full time job already. I doubt anyone on this forum has that much time to spare. I don't.

That started me thinking what it would take to do this. There are 40+ years of catalogs from 1965 to 2005 that Kurt roughly covers the products from right now. Each catalog has anywhere from 100 (the 1960's) to <1000 instruments (the 2000's). Each description has a section at the end with the options and their descriptions. The option number and description would have to be logged, then incorporated into each of Kurt's web pages. My best guess is it would take 1 man-year of work on the part of a college student majoring in electronics.

So here is my question: How much could we as an organization raise to give Kurt a helper to really speed him up? Is this even a possibility?

Dennis Tillman W7PF