Re: OT: Why is a Pomona Dual Banana Plug Shorting Bar Polarized

Erik Hultine

From my experience as a design engineer working with contract assembly houses, not specifying an orientation for insertion of a given component will generate lots of questions. I'm guessing Pomona marks one end so orientation can be specified avoiding the delay of these questions. I have had to spec this for NP caps, smd resistors (orient so the printed ID is in a given direction), etc.

Erik

“The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die.”- Friedrich Nietzsche

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dennis Tillman W7PF" [dennis@ridesoft.com]
Date: 25/02/2018 23:03
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] OT: Why is a Pomona Dual Banana Plug Shorting Bar Polarized

3 questions that are bothering me:

I picked up several Pomona dual banana plug shorting bars at the Rickreall,
OR Swap meet 2 weeks ago.

I just noticed they have the usual tab sticking out on one side with the
abbreviation GND on it.

Does Pomona know something about shorting bars that I don't?

Was I using them wrong half of the time if I wasn't paying attention to
their orientation?

Does anyone pay attention to the polarity of a shorting bar?

Another thing: According to Mouser the Yaego 0 ohm resistors they sell are
specified at only 1%. How do they know?

Finally: Why are the buttons on the cash machine at the drive up window of a
bank in Braille?

Dennis Tillman W7PF