Re: Can we talk safety for a moment?


Richard R. Pope
 

Ed and et al,
I was teaching auto shop in Fremont, CA. I had covered safety precautions such as no rings, other jewelry, ties, or long hair. We were out in the shop and I had given the students their various assignments. I was helping another student on another project when I heard a long POP! I turned just in time to see this student flung about 4 feet straight up and dropped on to the front bumper where he slid to to the floor.
I ran over and he was covered in battery acid and the top of the battery was gone. I did a quick survey of him, checked for a pulse, and his breathing. I had another student help me and we dragged him over to the emergency shower and let him have it. He woke up as I was pulling his pants off. I noticed that his belt buckle was melted. I had already pulled his shirt off.
I had acted quick enough to save him from any serious burns and his position over the top of the battery had saved the others from being hurt. I had determined that his metal belt buckle had shorted the battery clamps from the battery charger together and caused a high amperage flash over and this had ignited the hydrogen gas in an around the battery. Pop goes the weasel! Ouch. Well safety procedures now included no metal belt buckles.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 2/19/2018 6:17 PM, Ed Breya via Groups.Io wrote:
What Cliff said about low voltage, high current. Also the same issues working on cars etc - poking around in 12V battery circuits that can deliver hundreds of amps is risky with rings or watches on, but harmless to intact skin. Adding metal tools restores some risk, like from working or dropping a tool in the wrong place. That's why you should disconnect the grounded end of a battery first, so you don't have to swing a hot wrench or pliers around in close quarters. Ed


Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.