Re: Can we talk safety for a moment?

Richard R. Pope

Vince,
Which box? The Meter Box or the Main Service panel?
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 2/19/2018 11:57 AM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
I did a new service at a place we used to have up north. I was told the box was to be grounded with no less than an 8 foot ground rod with no less than #6 wire, #4 preferred.

Vince.

On 02/19/2018 07:35 AM, John Griessen wrote:
On 02/18/2018 11:35 PM, Richard R. Pope wrote:
Bob,
Not here. The national code states that the meter box has be
ungrounded. If you ground it the Power company won't connect the Power
and the inspector will fail you. I have done several houses and
everyone of them had to have the Meter Box left ungrounded.
Mmm.... uhh... not so sure.... The meter is connected by metal conduit
that is very short distance
to a distribution panel box which is definitely safety GND wire bonded
to box.
So, if there is such a rule, it is about the bonding screws being in a
particular place, not leaving them off.
I don't remember such a rule in the 2004 elec code, which is the most
recent I have studied thoroughly.