Re: New file uploaded to TekScopes@groups.io

Dave Brown

Brian, as one of the original requesters, thank you for uploading the file- regardless of format!
DaveB, NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2018 08:24
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] New file uploaded to TekScopes@groups.io

Hi Chuck , thank you for the support there , I have encountered much the same when sending attachments . I have , to satisfy any less savvy , uploaded a zip file of the same information .
Brian
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 1 February 2018, 19:14
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] New file uploaded to TekScopes@groups.io

What's Windows Explorer? Is it one of those fringe things like Linux?

From time-to-time, I have to distribute PDF files to customers so I can get paid. The worst problem is with those using Windows, where everything (but malware) is viewed as being potentially dangerous.

In the beginning, I sent PDF's as email attachments, and it always worked. Then one day, someone found a vector in the PDF that could be used by malware, and PDF's got bounced. So, I would send PDF's wrapped in zip format... which worked for a while, until someone found a vector in the zip format that could be used by malware, and that bounced. So now, I send PDF's wrapped in RAR format, and it just works. For now.

For some reason, I refuse to send my invoices in MSWORD doc format.

I'm of the opinion that if someone is gracious enough to share a file with the group, and they use a widely available and standard format, it might be up to us to work out the usually trivial way to open the file.

I remember the days when arc and zip were encumbered by patents, and the freedom loving folk among us used ZOO to distribute our files.

-Chuck Harris

Malcolm Hunter wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is zip files open without using any
third-party software. It's integrated into Windows Explorer and
probably most other modern operating systems' file managers.

Malc

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.