Re: Any experience with ELECTRONIC LOADS would be appreciated

stefan_trethan

Hi Dennis,

I have not tried the loads on Ebay but use different electronic loads
extensively every day.
I have also built several of my own where commercial products did not
offer what I needed.

Are you looking at the Chinese loads in a desktop case such as the
Maynuo branded one, or something else?
There is information about them here, they are apparently no so bad:
<https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/which-dc-electronic-load-to-get/>

You can make a load fairly easily, I have always used a beefy mosfet
on a heatsink, with a shunt resistor in the source lead.
A simple opamp control loop can do constant voltage/current/resistance control.

Whatever you buy or build, always keep in mind that there is a control
loop involved. For certain tests a true resistive load is the only
way.

ST

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF
<@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF> wrote:
I occasionally have a need for an electronic load. There are many listed on
Ebay. It would appear the Ebay ones are variations on about 10 different
designs. Has anyone bought an electronic load off of Ebay? If so what has
been your experience with it.

These are my requirements

1) Voltage as high as possible: it looks like that will be about 100V
from the ones I saw on Ebay

2) Modest current drain of an amp or two. This should be no problem as
all of them do that

3) Power of about 50W. I can add a fan to keep the heatsink cool if
needed.

4) I do not need a USB current load

Dennis Tillman W7PF