Re: Replacing ceramics on a 485 recap

Ed Breya

I agree - ceramic caps hardly ever fail, especially in ordinary supply bypassing applications. They can get leaky, though, but that hardly matters for bypassing. I can recall only three ceramic cap electrical failures over the last decade or so. One was a HV type in the cathode supply of a scope, and the others were in PLL circuits, where leakage upset operation - one in a Rb standard, and one in a HP8566B. I have seen a few that were cracked and such, but that's mechanical failure due to external issues.

Ed