Re: OT: Sunon SP100A 115V fan (0.26A) in a 240V unit

keantoken

Hmm. So you have to use a series resistor, but you can reduce the wasted power of that resistor by adding a series capacitor. On Monday, January 15, 2018, 12:05:38 PM CST, Ed Breya via Groups.Io <edbreya=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

It depends very much on the specific fan brand/model/design. I have often added R/C networks to drop fan speed and noise. Some fans work just fine, while others don't. When you drop enough voltage to get a good speed range with a reactive network, the fan doesn't have enough starting torque to go reliably, and when you trim it back up to start well, it hardly drops any running speed. I always mark and set aside the relatively few good ones for low-speed applications.  Ed