Re: First draft of the Tek knob visual index project

Dano

I am interested in helping with this project. I don't have Solidworks skills, but I do have 3D modelling skills (Mastercam). Solidworks is in progress, but that's the difference of learning gimp vs photoshop (bad comparison I know, but you get the idea).

Anyhow, I have a Tek manual on specifications that also contain "blueprints", with dimensions and all that. Not truly blueprints, but good 'nuff for what were doing, I believe. I just picked it up off of flea-bay and is called the "1988 Mechanical Catalog: Volume 2". I bid against someone else, but I was determined not to miss this, since I don't trust the other buyer to scan it in and share it, as I do. Plus it happened to be local to me - which just about never happens.

Does anyone else have the other Volumes?

There's gotta be volume 1 out there at a minimum, if it hasn't been destroyed - as so eloquently stated in the book

Quote from first page, "DO NOT SEND YOUR OUTDATED CATALOGS TO THE COMMON DESIGN PARTS CATALOG GROUP. PLEASE SEND OUTDATED CATALOGS TO SALVAGE."

I have somewhat limited access to HAAS CNC machines, so I can make "some" things, if I don't take too much machine time away from the shop. I envision that I could probably easily make faceplates (out of plastic) on the CNC, with probably better results than a 3D printer (and a lot less work). Knobs, might be more difficult. Fixturing (holding) is probably the most difficult thing for me to do on the CNC with these types of widgets. Never tried to make an angled knob - I'm still relatively new to machining processes (couple years in school only gets you to entry level) but it sure as heck won't stop me from trying.

Cheers!

-Dano