Re: Tek Knob Project - scan and make

bobh@joba.com

I have made a number of knobs using the Alumilite materials <https://www.alumilite.com/store/pg/46-Casting-Resins.aspx>. I haven't done any for Tek knobs yet but certainly have opportunities to try.  The knobs I made for machinery worked well.

Bob.

On 12/20/2017 7:14 AM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
I have and do it quite often, just not with rtv or acrylic. I use actual
silicon mold material and plastic resin, all made for making plastic
parts. I don't know if the SC-504 uses the same tiny focus knob as the
SC-503 does, but one of the things on my todo list is to make a new knob
to replace the missing one on my 503. The scope has two identical knobs,
so the one that remains can be my model. Then just take the new knob, put
it on the lathe and drill the center hole. Color matching is the main
problem, tiny set screw for that thing is another.

Vince.

On 12/20/2017 8:53 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
The knobs are plastic primarily for cost of manufacture.
<snip>

Hello--
Has anyone explored using RTV silicone rubber to form a mold of an
existing
knob, followed by using the mold to cast a replacement knob using
acrylic resin (or another compound)?

73--

Brad  AA1IP