Re: Deane Kidd and the Metric System

Fabio Trevisan

Guys,

I think what Ian Newman meant is that you can easily do that conversion by
heart, without resorting to a calculator or a piece of paper to make the
full division or multiplication operation.
It's a no-brainer to repeatedly double the quotient and the divisor until
the divisor reaches 256, and just take note of what the quotient became to
get the result directly in 10ths of mm. With an error of just 0.78%!

I think it goes particularly intuitive to the ones of us who dealt more
with binary logic who can tell by heart most of the smaller powers of 2 and
the relation between all of them.

Rgrds from Brazil,

Fabio

TekScopes@...>:

Same. I was a machinist, toolmaker and welder for 20 years until I injured
my back. We always used 25.4 for conversion from inch to metric and vice
versa, it is correct and gives the exact conversion.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8.
-------- Original message --------From: "Barry n4buq@...
[TekScopes]" <TekScopes@...> Date: 12/14/17 7:48 PM
(GMT-06:00) To: TekScopes@... Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Deane
Kidd and the Metric System

I worked in a metric shop for 10 years. I pretty much always used 25.4 as
the conversion factor. 0.03937 is a rounded recriprocal of 25.4 which is
technically the correct conversion factor between inches and millimeters
(and easier for me to remember).

Thanks,

Barry - N4BUQ