Re: Deane Kidd and the Metric System

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

Damn. *Were* you pulling our leg Tom? If so you suckered me into getting on my theory high horse!

Craig

Memorizing the number .03937 solves the whole problem going either
way, to or from inches and millimeters.
That is a more difficult and much more imprecise number to remember than 25.4. That is by
definition
the precise conversion. Whereas 1/25.4 ~ 0.03937 are the first digits of a repeating decimal
(since it can
be expressed as 10/254, and a fraction of two integers always returns a repeating decimal, as a
simple
example 1/9 = 0.11111...). It turns out that the repeat length of 1/254 (and hence of
10/254 = 1/25.4)) is 42 digits long!

Craig