Re: My tek 2465 smokes

cmjones01

On 15 Dec 2017 7:52 a.m., "'hardy hansen' hardyhansen@mail.tele.dk
[TekScopes]" <TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote

After not having used my tek 2465 for a while-now it really smokes-do
vagely recall it have been seen before??

The smoke is probably from the mains input filter capacitors which, after a
few decades, crack and admit moisture, then fail with a cloud of smoke. The
proper fix is to replace the capacitors. The fix I use is just to wait for
the smoke to stop (it does, eventually) and carry on using the scope.

The operation of the instrument is not affected by these capacitors, but
there's a chance it won't meet its conducted radio interference spec if
they've failed. You are free to decide whether this is something you care
about.

Chris