Re: Deane Kidd and the Metric System

stefan_trethan

Thanks, Ian, for that neat trick with the 256 method. I'll use it for sure.

And thank you Tom, for pulling our leg. ;-)

ST

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:36 AM, Tom Jobe tomjobe@gmail.com
[TekScopes] <TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
That is a very neat trick... but consider this simple plan:
For the fractional part of the dimension, divide the bottom number into
the top number to get its decimal equivalent.
Example (7/16" = 7 divided by 16 gives you 0.4375 inches)
If there are whole inches involved in the measurement then it becomes
1.4375, 2.4375 etc.
Divide the decimal inch number by .03937 and you have your millimeter
equivalent.
Example ( our 7/16" is 0.4375 decimal inches, we divide it by .03937 and
we have our answer of 11.11125 mm.
Memorizing the number .03937 solves the whole problem going either way,
to or from inches and millimeters.
Let's have an example of going from millimeters to inches:
If you multiply 100mm by .03937 you will get it's equivalent in inches,
100 x .03937 = 3.937 inches.
The number .03937 is simply how many inches are in one millimeter.
This .03937 method was the common way that millimeters and inches were
dealt with in shops I worked at in the US.
tom jobe...