Re: Deane Kidd and the Metric System

Chris van Lint

Right up until the hand-over in 1999, we had
HK$00.01 notes (1 cent) in Hong Kong. They were
printed on one side only, because the printing
costs exceeded the value of the note. They were
not used in general transactions, but were there
for accounting purposes, when settlement of
transactions had to be exact to the cent.

At 07:38 PM 14/12/2017, you wrote:

The UK still mints several unusual coins which - importantly - can
be used in supermarkets. They are quite popular for several
reasons:
- since they are "coins of the realm", it would be difficult
for the exchequer to levy capital gains tax
- their gold street value is a hedge against market
instabilities
- they are rare and pretty

The sovereign, with a face value of £1. It is 7.98805g and
contains 7.322381g of gold (22carat). There are 1/2 and 1/4
sovereign variants.

The britannia, with a face value of £100. Until 2012 they
were 31.104g and contained 34.050g of gold (22 carat).
Now they are 24 carat. They have 5, 1/4, 1/10, 1/20 variants.

On 14/12/17 03:29, David davidwhess@gmail.com [TekScopes] wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 11:50:25 -0000, you wrote:

Half dollars, quarters, and nickels divide
dollars into halves, quarters,
and twentieths.

Posted by: David <davidwhess@gmail.com>
Well yes, but you have 100 pennies to the
dollar, same as us to the pound.
But we have other coins
too. The 2p(fiftieth), 5p (twentieth),
10p(tenth) 20p(fifth) and 50p(half)
and £2(twice). There was
at one stage a 25p coin too (quarter). That doesn't make either you or us
non-decimal for currency.
We just divide our decimal base currency whether US dollars or pounds
sterling into convenient
chunks.

Even for those like me who were brought up
with that system until age 15, it
was complete madness.
Doing mental arithmetic with it was a nightmare.

Craig
The part I like is that when dimes, quarters, half dollars, and dollar
coins were silver, they all had a weight proportional to their value
so they could simply be weighed instead of counted.

This does not work anymore because dimes come in two different
weights.